pre-pro.com home

SEARCH

<<  Previous    Next  >>

Index

THE HAYNER DISTILLING CO. (arched) / (picture composed of an inverted horseshoe over a barrel, with grain stalks to either side. Tsp letters within horseshoe read TRADE 1866 MARK. The barrelhead is etched with tsp text: HAYNER) / REGISTERED / DAYTON,O. & ST. LOUIS.MO. (reverse arched).

ID#: RRP152
Buy a glass like this:
click for more details

BUY ME!
Glass Category:Liquor advertising
Glass Type:Thin-walled cylinder
Label Type:Usual white-etched label, gold rim
Dimensions:2-1/2 " x 1-7/8 " x 1-3/4"
Edmonson:HSG, p. 178, entry #5
State:OH
City:Dayton
Notes:
Hayner Distilling Co. listed from 1866-1920.

The main office of the Hayner Distilling Co was originally in Springfield, OH., 30 miles NE of Dayton. The distillery was located in Troy, OH., about the same distance due north of Dayton.

Branch offices could be found in Atlanta, Boston, Chattanooga, Dayton (postal address "Lockbox 290"), Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Louisville, New Orleans, St. Louis, San Francisco, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Toledo and Washington, DC. They claimed to be the largest mail order whiskey house in the US.

The company was established by Lewis Hayner in 1866. It was he who built the distillery in Troy. After he died in 1892, his nephews William Hayner and C.C. Hayner continued the distillery operations, in partnership with William's brother-in-law, Walter S. Kidder. William is reported to have been in liquor retailing in Waco, TX prior to taking control of Hayner Distilling and is creditted with building the company into a national brand through the creation of the mail order empire.

A letterhead dated June 16, 1893 from the Springfield office shows their Distillery and identifies company officers: W.M. Hayner (President), E.W. Skinner (Vice Pres.), W. P. Russell (Secretary) and W.S. Kidder (Treasurer) .

On December 8, 1894, Kidder is Secretary and Skinner is Treasurer; i.e., their jobs have been reversed (a typo?).

By 1898, their main office and shipping depot was shown as being Dayton. Company officers were W.M. Hayner (President), C.C. Hayner (Vice Pres.), and E.W. Skinner (Treasurer).

A Mar 22, 1899 letterhead again shows the distillery and the Dayton office, officers were: W.M. Hayner (President), C.C. Hayner (Vice Pres.), E.W. Skinner (Treasurer) and S.L. Geisinger (Secretary).

In 1902, bill heads were showing the distillery in Springfield, the Dayton office and shipping depot at 226-228 W 5th St., the St. Louis office and shipping depot at 305-307 S 7 th St., and an office and shipping depot in St. Paul, MN. (82-84 E 5 th St.). Officers were W.M. Hayner (President), C.C. Hayner (Vice Pres.), W.F. Dolke (Treasurer) and S.L. Geisinger (Secretary). The company officers remain unchanged in 1904.

A letterhead from 1905 (also 1906) shows that W.S. Kidder has taken over from C.C. Hayner as Vice Pres. and they had added an office in Atlanta GA. to their distribution network.

In 1909, W.M. Hayner was President, W.S. Kidder was First Vice President, C.C. Hayner was Second Vice President, G.C. Kaefer was Secretary, and W.F. Dolke was Treasurer.

By 1913, they had outlets in Dayton, St. Louis, Kansas City, Boston, St. Paul, Jacksonville, Toledo, and New Orleans. Flyers from this time suggest that the main Dayton office had grown by one story (compare with image at lower right):




By 1915, they were showing additional offices in Indianapolis, and Washington, DC.
The passage of the Webb-Kenyon act in 1913 made it illegal to transport liquor across State lines. The law was designed to prevent mail-order sales to residents of dry states and it had a serious impact on the Hayner operations. Although the distillery did not close until Prohibition took effect in 1920, they were in financial trouble long before that. The Hayner name was not resurrected after Repeal.

Brand names used by this company include: "Cream of Kentucky", "Duncan Bourbon", "Golden Jubilee", "Harvest Home", "Hayner", "Hayner Special Pride", "Miami Valley Rye", "Old Trojan", "Tom Marshall Rye", and "W. S. K.."

Company name timeline:
The Hayner Distilling Co.

Address timeline:
226-228 W 5 th St. (1900-1920) & 110 E 3rd (1910-1912)

Find out more about Hayner Distilling Co.
SEARCH

<<  Previous    Next  >>

Index

<top of page

SEARCH

<<  Previous    Next  >>

Index

This glass is shown for informational purposes only and is not for sale.

We MAY be able to find a glass like this for you, however.

Be warned, these glasses are rare antiques, around 100 years old. Prices range from $30 or so on the more common ones to $200 or more on the rarer ones.

Please send a message expressing your interest using the comment box below -- and don't forget to include an e-mail address or we have no way of knowing who to reply to!


Re glass ID# RRP152:

Copyright © 2002-2017 pre-pro.com.  All rights reserved.