Back to Index Page

Previous    Next

"Old Hoss" / Pony Whiskey / Louis Taussig & Co.

         ID#: RCL123

Glass Category:Liquor advertising
Glass Type:Waisted, heavy base
Label Type:Wheel-engraved
Dimensions:2-7/16" x 1-15/16" x 1-1/4"
Edmonson:Not listed
City:San Francisco
Louis Taussig & Co. listed from 1856-1918.

Note that a similar style glass bearing the (engraved) Morville brand name is listed in HSG.

Letterheads from the various Louis Taussig operations all assert that he first became established in the liquor trade in 1856. The location remains unknown, but he's most famous for his San Francisco businesses. In 1864 he took over control of the wholesale liquor establishment owned by Louis Altschul & Co. and located at 723 Sansome St. Taussig had been a silent partner in the company up until then. By 1873, the company name had changed to Louis Taussig & Co., reflecting a new partnership with Adolph Eisenbach and Adolph Fried, and the business premises moved to the SW corner of Battery & Sacramento Sts.

The Taussig Co. became one of the largest wholesale outfits in the west, eventually expanding into Cincinnati (located at 15 Sycamore St.) and New York City (at 9 Delancy St.) and were proprietors of the White Elm Distilling Co. in Covington,KY. Louis Taussig ceded control to Gabriel Taussig in the 1880's but the family continued operations up until Prohibition.
Louis, meanwhile, became a real-estate broker, operating out of the company's wholesale liquor house at 26 & 28 Main Street.

In the early 1890's, John J Carroll joined the company as a partner and "Carroll Rye" became one of their leading brands. Other popular Taussig brands included "P. Morville's AAA Whiskey" and "White Elm". More can be found on Taussig in The Lucchesi Collection.

Brand names used by this company include: "Carroll Rye", "Carroll Rye Whiskey", "Elk Run", "Game Cock", "Game Cock Bourbon", "Gold Spray", "LT & Co. (Carroll Rye Whiskey)", "Mascot C.C.", "Old Hoss Pony Whiskey", "P Morville AAA Old Bourbon Whiskey", "P. Morville's", "Rose Bouquet", "The Major Bourbon", and "White Elm."

Company name timeline:
L Taussig (1865-1872), Louis Taussig & Co. (1873-1918)

Address timeline:
723 Sansome (1865-1867), 709 Sansome (1868-1872), SW cor Battery & Sacramento (1873-1875), 205 Battery (1881-1883), 26-28 Main St. (1884-1906), 3134 16 th (1907-1908), cor Main & Mission (1909-1916), 200 Mission (1917-1918)

Find out more about Louis Taussig & Co.
Previous    Back to Index Page     Next

< top of page

Copyright © 2002-2024  All rights reserved.