distillery search  |  pre-pro.com home

The Eagle Distillery
RD #8, 2 nd District
Daviess County, KY

(Est. 1869)

According to Cecil, the Eagle was built in 1869 by T J Monarch as a 50 bushel house. City directories show that the Eagle Distillery Co. had offices in Owensboro and on Main St. in Louisville. T J Monarch was President of the company, with Geo A Williams as Secretary in 1882, B McFarlan as Secretary in 1883.

In 1890 the Eagle was sold to R Monarch following the death of its founder. It fetched $110,000. Information from insurance underwriter records compiled in 1892 show that the distillery was brick-built with a metal or slate roof and supplied two bonded and three free warehouses, and a barn full of cattle. The barn was located 153 ft east of the still.

The first of the bonded warehouses, Warehouse "A" was 500 ft NW and heated by had a separate boiler located 100 ft south of the still. This, like all of the warehouses on the property, was frame construction with a shingle roof. Warehouse "B", or "No. 8" was 140 ft NW of the still, while three free warehouses were at 320 ft N, 325 ft N and 200 ft NW.

In 1900, the distillery was sold to Tom Moore (Bardstown) and T E O'Keefe (Oswego, NY) following the death of R Monarch.

In 1908, the Eagle was renamed and became the "Imperial". It was dismantled during Prohibition.

Review bonded warehouse transactions for this distillery

Internal Revenue recorded warehouse transactions for The Eagle Distillery as follows:
( explain: origin of these records, letter codes )

<top of page

Copyright © 2006-2024 www.pre-pro.com.  All rights reserved.