distillery search  |  pre-pro.com home

The Crystal Springs Distillery
RD #78, 5 th District
Jefferson County, KY

The Crystal Spring Distillery Co. ran two independent distilleries at the same site on the east side of 1 st St on the SE corner of Magnolia Ave in Louisville. The first was RD #3, the second RD #78 of KY's 5th District. Ownership is stated in the city directories:

1867-1871: Jacob Laval & Son, Prop.

1872-1878: Charles M Laval, Prop.

1880: F Jaeger, Prop.

1892: Insurance underwriter records compiled in 1892 suggest that distillery #78 was brick. Warehouse 78 was also brick with a metal or slate roof and stood 36 ft SW of the still.

The Coyte papers (cited in OASG, 1988) say that the plants were operated by John Callaghan and others from the 1870s to 1880, when Callaghan joined the newly organized Belle of Marion Distillery Co. Crystal Springs then continued making the brand for F Jaeger

1908: Kentucky Distilleries & Warehouse Co., an arm of the Trust, acquired the distilleries and operated them to Prohibition.

1918: Operations ceased: they were not reopened on Repeal.

Aliases that this distillery's product was sold under
Review bonded warehouse transactions for this distillery

The Crystal Springs Distillery provided product that was sold under the following aliases:

Internal Revenue recorded warehouse transactions for The Crystal Springs Distillery as follows:
( explain: origin of these records, letter codes )

<top of page

Copyright © 2006-2024 www.pre-pro.com.  All rights reserved.