Naber, Alfs & Brune began life as Ehlers & Brand in 1871. They were wholesale liquor dealers at 322 Clay Street. Ehlers left the company in 1875, selling his interests to Henry D. Naber. Brand and Naber then moved to 413 Front St. in 1877. In 1880, Ernest Brand, the senior partner, sold out to William Alfs and Henry Brune and the familiar Naber, Alfs and Brune was born.
Naber, Alfs and Brune became one of the major retailers supplying the west. Their most popular brands were Phoenix Bourbon and Damiana Bitters, but they also sold Club House Bourbon, Gold Medal Bourbon, Union Club Bourbon, Rock and Rye, Rum Punch Extract and Blackberry Brandy (Thomas, 1974).
The company name Naber, Alfs and Brune continued until Prohibition, although Alfs and Brune assumed control in 1909 and by 1913 Alfs was the sole owner. See The Lucchesi Collection for more on this company.
Edmonson (in HSG) quoted Snyder as showing the CA firm registering the Phoenix brand in 1891 but in his book "Whiskey Brands" has it attributed (1891, 1905) to Monheimer of Chicago, IL.
The company used the brand names:
"Phoenix Bourbon", and "Phoenix Old Bourbon."
Business name timeline:
Naber, Alfs & Brune
413 Front (1879-1888), 323-325 Market (1889-1906), 825 Mission (1907-1909), 631-635 Howard (1910-1918)
The images below are thumbnails linked to listing pages containing larger, more detailed images and links to related material.
Click on the thumbnails for more information.
Copyright © 2002-2023 pre-pro.com. All rights reserved.
Please contact the glassmaster
with questions or comments.