Back to Index Page

Previous    Next

R.BOND (slanted) / WHISKEY (slanted; this and previous line bounded by line designs) / H.VARWIG & SON (arched) / PORTLAND, ORE.

         ID#: DKW131

Glass Category:Liquor advertising
Glass Type:Thin-walled shot
Label Type:Hand-applied white enamel
Edmonson:HSG, p. 27, entry #6
Brand Registration:1876
H. Varwig & Son listed from 1878-1915.

Herman Varwig was owner of a saloon ca. 1869-1873, then went into the bakery business, then returned to the liquor business with a liquor store in 1878. In 1888 his son joined the business and they became H. Varwig & Son.

The 1901 and 1903 directories shows that the company is owned by Louis and Sophia Varwig, with Herman F Varwig as book-keeper, and a Thomas P Varwig as "Travel Agent."

In 1904 and 1905, the company consists of Louis, Minnie, and Thomas P Varwig. The directory also lists a Jennie Varwig and a May Varwig, both as widows of Herman F Varwig.

They remained at their store on Front Street until Prohibition hit OR in 1915. They registered the "Vim" brand (R: 1905) and must have been distributors of the "R. Bond" brand, registered by Milis & Johnson Co. of Cincinnati, OH in 1876.

Brand names used by this company include: "R Bond", and "Vim."

Company name timeline:
Herman Varwig (1878-1887), H. Varwig & Son (1888-1915)

Address timeline:
231 Front Street

Find out more about H. Varwig & Son
Previous    Back to Index Page     Next

< top of page

Copyright © 2002-2024  All rights reserved.