Back to Index Page

Previous    Next

+ Wm. FOUST'S SONS + GLEN ROCK, PA. Text is arched/reverse arched within two circle outlines. At center is: (curlicue line design) / DISTILLERS / (curlicue line design)

         ID#: DKW184

A close-up of the label
Glass Category:Liquor advertising
Glass Type:Thin-walled shot
Label Type:Label under glass, in base
Dimensions:2-3/8" x 1-13/16" x 1-7/16"
Edmonson:HSG, p. 70, entry #6
City:Glen Rock
Also listed in OASG. p. 78, entry #3.

The distillery was started in 1840 by William ("Billy") Foust (1836-1920) and his father, John S. Foust (1811-1867). In 1858, Billy rebuilt the still and expanded production of the famous Foust Pure Rye Whiskey. By 1907, production was up to 3,000 barrels per year. A small brick-and-stone village grew up around the spring-fed hollow that was the site of the still and came to be known as "Foustown". It even had its own column in the local paper. Eventually it grew to include a bonded warehouse and "bottled in bond" bottling facility. After Billy's retirement, the distillery was operated by his 4 sons, Fred C., John Q.A., William F., and Robert. The distillery was re-opened after Repeal but the Fousts sold their interest in it. The name was used on various products. Pre-pro brands included "Glenrock", "Old Foust", and "Springfield Copper Distilled". (Hartman, 1998).

See more about the distillery

Brand names used by this company include: "Glen Rock Rye", "Old Foust Rye", and "Springfield Copper Distilled."

Company name timeline:
Wm F Foust's Sons Dist.

Address timeline:

Find out more about Wm F Foust's Sons Dist.
Previous    Back to Index Page     Next

< top of page

Copyright © 2002-2024  All rights reserved.