Original artwork and Greeting cards
by JuliaJaneArt




<<  Previous    Next  >>


COMMODORE (arched) / BOURBON (text is tsp on a frosted oval and within a tsp oval outline).

ID#: KWS077
How do I buy this glass?
see details below
Glass Category:Liquor advertising
Glass Type:Thin-walled shot
Label Type:Usual white-etched label
Dimensions:2-3/16" x 1-7/8" x 1-7/16"
Edmonson:Not listed
Brand Registered:1905
Weideman, Kent & Co. listed from 1861-1919.

The following information on company history was kindly provided by Bill Krejci (9/2008):

The original name for this company was Weideman & Co, Wines and Liquors. First opened in 1861 by John Cristian Weideman and Jacob D. Hildebrand. Mr. Hildebrand had previously owned a distillery at 76 River Rd. Mr. Weidemann had previously worked for the grocery firm of Edwards and Iddings on Water St. (now West 9th.) The new firm was established at 138 and 140 River Rd.

The following year, Mr. Weideman sold his interests in this firm and began a partnership with his long-time friend Hannes Tiedemann. Tiedemann was the man most famously known today as the builder of Cleveland's Franklin Castle, regarded by many to be the most haunted house in Ohio. The new firm was called Weideman and Tiedemann, Wholesale Liquor and was located at a building at 70 Merwin Street in the flats. Mr. Hildebrand meanwhile retained the building on River Rd. and continued in the Liquor industry.

Hannes Tiedemann, 1908

A few years later, Mr. Weideman and Mr. Tiedemann took on a partner named Oliver Granger Kent. The new name was Weideman, Tiedemann and Kent.

During the late 1860's another partner was added to the firm: Clark Thomas Hasbrouck, thus the company was now called Weideman, Tiedemann, Kent and Co. The firm also moved to a larger store at 30 Merwin Street.

Around 1871, Hannes Tiedemann sold his interests in the firm to O. G. Kent and retired for a time before becoming involved in the founding of many Cleveland Banks (one in particular in 1883 with J. C. Weideman).

Brand names used by this company include: "Auld Lang Syne", "Belle of Frankfort", "Cardinal Brand", "Chatham", "Commodore", "Cricket", "Cruiser", "Crystal Spring", "Crystal Spring Gin", "Dew of Erin", "Forest City Club", "Halcyon Pure Rye", "Lion & Unicorn", "Lion & Unicorn Gin", "Melfort", "Old Chatham Rye", "Old Deposit", "Old Frankfort", "Old Mountain Inn", "Old Piper", "Prescription", and "Tyrone."

Company name timeline:
Weideman, Kent & Co. (1871-1883), Weideman & Co. (1886-1888), The Weideman Co. (1889-1919)

Address timeline:
70 Merwin St (1862), 30-32 Merwin (1871-1873), 53-65 Water (1874-1905), 1266 W 9th NW (1906-1919)

Find out more about Weideman, Kent & Co.

<<  Previous    Next  >>


<top of page


<<  Previous    Next  >>


This glass is shown for informational purposes only and is not for sale.

We MAY be able to find a glass like this for you, however.

Be warned, these glasses are rare antiques, around 100 years old. Prices typically range from $30 or so on the more common glasses (e.g., a Hayner or a Detrick) to $250+ on desirable picture glasses.

Please send a message expressing your interest using the comment box below -- and don't forget to include an e-mail address or we have no way of knowing who to reply to!

Re glass ID# KWS077:

Copyright © 2002-2024  All rights reserved.